The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH signature Edition Gaming Desktop the looks of a gaming superstar and the power to match. It features an interesting combination of specs that powers it to the near best in its space. Check it out here.
The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH Review
- Great inspired design
- Fast performance –3.4 GHz Core i7-6700K processors
- 4K gaming – 8GB Nvidia GTX 1080
- Nothing much to love about the keyboard and mouse
- Relatively expensive
- Lenovo’s best days are not behind us; at least not while the new Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH Gaming desktop exists. First of all, it has a stunning design, a svelte portable body and premium hardware to go with. It handles 4K amazingly well and is set to take VR to the next level. It is a high-end model that we recommend over the recently reviewed Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube 90FL0015US Desktop owing to a complete overhaul of its features (such as 8 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 and 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-6700 CPU) which significantly cause it to offer more value. It comes highly recommended and shares ranks with the best desktops in the industry, for instance, Alienware Aurora R6, Acer Predator G1-710-70003, Corsair One Pro among others.
DESIGN AND FEATURES
The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH’s design is remarkable thanks to its stylish dark color scheme design and an ingenious engineering feat. The black plastic material contrasts with the Y-shaped red LED lights which all come together to give it a classic look. Check our review of the Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube 90FL0015US Desktop for a comprehensive design description.
There’s nothing measly about the Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH’s port system; and that made us really happy. The rear most especially, is fitted with a whole array of ports to cover your needs. We found the following really helpful at the rear: two extra USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, five 3.5 mm audio jacks, optical S/PDIF and Gigabit Ethernet (802.11 ac Wi-Fi included too). Lenovo also included a PS/2 mouse/keyboard port should you decide/ have reason to use it.
The port selection is satisfactory, covering the graphics ports: DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort for easy connection to display. The inclusion of the Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C would have made this set complete but for now, that remains in our wish list. Still, we are jolly with the ports provided here as they cover simply every device: HD monitor, a VR set, mouse, keyboard, headphones, and speaker system.
Lenovo equipped this desktop with absurdly high tech gear, and the processor is one of them. The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH runs on a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-640UM processor with four chips for Hyper-Threading. At high gear, it can reach Turbo speeds of 4GHzwhen there’s plenty of thermal headroom. The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube 90FL0015US Desktop we reviewed earlier has the Core i7-6700 processor.
It also features 16 GB memory 128GB Solid state drive, 1TB HDD 7200 rpm and the most advanced GPU ever created, the Nvidia GeForce 1080 with 8GB DDR5 (10Gbps memory speed). The latter is a premium feature only the leading desktops have. The few in that space are Lenovo IdeaCentre Y900, MSI Aegis 3 VR7RE-036US, HP Omen X Extreme Edition, ASUS ROG GT51CA-XB71K-GTX1080SLI Desktop, and Asus ROG GT51CA VR Ready just to name a few.
Nvidia GTX 1080 is a high-end graphics card so there was no way we would have let it go without putting it through its paces on the gaming rundown test. To accomplish this, we played some games in 4K resolution on the highest settings. Here are some modern titles results played at highest settings (ultrahigh 3840×2160):
|Need for Speed (2016)||45 fps|
|The Division||38 fps|
|Star Wars Battlefront||62 fps|
|Battlefield 4||59 fps|
|Crysis 3||32 fps|
|Prey 2017||70.8 fps on ultra high settings (3840×2160)|
|Mass Effect Andromeda(2017)||94.9 fps on ultra high settings (1920×1080)|
So, on average, we concluded that while it does play smoothly in a few games, the performance isn’t as good enough to completely avoid stutters in demanding games. But you can still have fun with 4K resolution provided you tone down on the details.
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
There is a keyboard and mouse (wired) included in the package. The keyboard is excellent and features curved and accommodative individual keys. Lenovo is well famed for making great typing keyboards but that’s not what avid gamers need here. Still, it was nice that it was included. You can use it for home and office tasks in the meantime. The wired mouse works okay too. It isn’t so much gaming and you should consider replacing it too, considering it has no precision settings or adjustments.
Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Specs
- Processor 3.4 GHz Core i7-6700
- RAM 16 GB DIMM DDR
- Memory Speed 2133 MHz
- Hard Drive 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm
- Graphics Coprocessor Geforce GTX
- Card Description Dedicated
- Wireless Type 802.11n
- Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4
- Series Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH
- Item model number 31P90FL003HUS
- Operating System Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
- Item Weight 19.2 pounds
- Product Dimensions 15.5 x 12.4 x 9.9 inches
- Color Black
- Processor Count 1
- Memory Type DIMM
- Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
- Audio-out Ports 1
- Power Source AC
The Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH’s charm is its GPU – nothing more nothing less. First of all, that is what defines it apart from the Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube 90FL0015US Desktop which has a slower Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU. In comparison with the competition, it only lags slightly behind owing to a smaller sized solid storage drive (128GB SSD). The CybertronPC Thalium X99 (480 GB SSD) and Corsair One Pro (400GB SSD) have more storage and that genuinely gives them the lead over the Ideacentre (design and aesthetics aside).
In one fell swoop, Lenovo managed to put together a formidable desktop with great appealing design, solid ventilation system, a quiet system under demanding tasks and competitive hardware (and we appreciate that). You don’t have to worry about where to place it in your living room either and carrying it around the room isn’t drudgery. It receives our highest recommendation alongside the Alienware Aurora R6, Dell XPS Tower Special Edition and the Corsair one Pro. You will have to dig deeper to pay for it though, but with the 4K gaming and excellent gaming experience will be worth every dime.
- Buy the Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 Cube-15ISH desktop from Amazon.