The Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-75RM laptop is among Acer’s aggressive, full of character gaming laptops. Its rugged and austere looks has won the hearts of many a gamer, making a unique name for itself in the gaming community. It is because of this attribute that we have come to appreciate it along with its excellent performance. Without doubt, the Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591 G-75RM stands out among many, and can comfortably go head to head with the best in its category.
Acer Aspire VX 15 Review
- Ample sized 15.6 inch screen
- Full HD screen advantage
- Fast Core i7-7700HQ processor(Kaby lake)
- Gaming powerhouse – features dedicated Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
- Healthy ports system – includes USB 3.1 Type-C
- Slightly heavy 5.5 pounds
- No optical drive
- HDD sold separately
- The Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-75RM has a great on paper rapport, enough to brush shoulders with some other impressive laptops. The most impressive of all being a top-notch set of hardware at a budget mid-range gaming laptop price range. Topping the list is a fast Core i7 processor, latest graphics unit (Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti), 16 GB DDR4 memory and 256 GB Solid State storage. The VX5-591G-75RM makes our Editor’s list of gaming laptops under $1,000. Yes, it’s true. You can now play your favorite titles on 1080p for a fraction of the cost.
- Buy the Acer Aspire VX15 VX5-591G-75RM at Amazon
DESIGN AND FEATURES
It weighs 5.5 pounds which most people would consider heavy, especially if you’re used to sub-3 pound ultrabooks. But this gaming rig ain’t no laptop for weaklings! So better lift some weights in prep for this baby! The design is awfully familiar too, we’ve seen it on the design replicated on the Lenovo Y700 and Lenovo Legion Y520 80WK00FHUS 15.6 Traditional Laptop – the latter we reviewed not so long ago.
They both share the futuristic floating display theme, gorgeous red & black color scheme and isolated exhaust vent ridges on both left and right rear. The lid is made of textured Aluminum with clear red accented LED-lit muscle lines, which is rather cliché, but the Aspire VX does it rather subtly enough to still maintain its appeal. I should point out that I personally appreciate the toned down versions of the Acer gaming line( Acer Nitro), but that this version still has good quality standing enough to be recommendable. And Acer did not pull off any weird design stunts as other laptops we’ve had on our table.
The 15.6 inches IPS screen is fitted with a 1920×1080 resolution so you can play your games on 1080p and anti-glare to prevent unwanted reflections. The screen is IPS enabled for accurate color reproduction and better viewing angles. Ideally, the VX5-591G-75RM allows up to 180 degrees of viewing from either
Every gamer needs a future proof port system, and while we think Acer Aspire VX 15 would have done more to future-proof this rig; the selection quite isn’t as bad. The USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 port makes a good future-proof case for this laptop and you can bet it is just as reliable for all your transfer needs.
- USB 2.0
- USB Type-C 3.1 Gen1
- 2 x USB 3.0 (one with power-off charging)
- Headphone/microphone combo jack
For other connectivity, there is the Gigabit Ethernet port and Wi-Fi is covered by (802.11ac 2×2 dual-band). Acer did not include an Optical burner in this unit. DVD burners are slowly becoming obsolete but they still are useful to some.
The SD Card reader was a great twist for this laptop, as a considerable option for additional storage.
Acer Aspire VX 15 Gaming laptop review: System Performance
It was pleasing to see a great set of recently released hardware on this laptop. It brags of a fast 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ with overclock speeds of 3.8 GHz. The processor works hand in hand with 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133MHz upgradable to 32 GB. Our reviewed unit also came with 256 GB solid state drive which functionally is more effective than the 1 GB HDD configuration.
To upgrade the RAM, you would have to go through the back panel and unscrew the plastic cover. The Aspire VX 15 includes two slots of 2.5’’ inch bays snugly fit in the system.
The Aspire VX 15 rocks the Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti GPU with 4GB of VRAM which by many standards is a beast in gaming. We fired up some of our favorite titles to check out what settings they would play best at.
The Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti performs 30% better than the GeForce GTX 965M and the regular GTX 1050, so we expected that much better gaming performance.
- Resident Evil 7 2017 67 fps on high 1920x 1080p
- For Honor 2017 55 fps on 1920x 1080p
- Battlefield 1 2016 58 fps on high 1920x1080p.
KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD
The keyboard layout is one almost similar to the Asus ROG Strix, which we had no problem with. The keys are individually proper sized, concave with a smooth accommodating touch. It had great feedback during our tests, with plenty of depth and travel to go with. Typing on the Aspire VX 15 was overall a decent experience for this gamer rig; nothing close to the Lenovo ThinkPad T460 or Apple’s MacBook Air but certainly acceptable.
The keys are also backlit with red lighting (no RGB software to control color) with the WASD keys and touchpad shinning brighter than the rest. The only adjustment available is on or off and none for the brightness level which is quite a shame for a gaming laptop. But I think you can live without one.
The plastic touchpad also stands out in its own way. It sits left aligned on the large palm rest, clicks fairly responsively and smoothly. I had no quirks (Microsoft Precision-certified) working gestures on pad which is a refreshing experience for a change. Multi-fingered gestures also worked seamlessly and the glides were smooth.
The 52 Wh battery manages the Aspire VX 15 about 3 to 4 hours (Acer promises 6 hours) while using it on ordinary tasks: light browsing, text editing on Microsoft Word or MS Excel and 2 hours while gaming. It also takes over 2 hours to charge this laptop.
Acer Aspire VX 15 Specs
- Screen Size 15.6 inches IPS display
- Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Screen brightness 250 cd/m2
- Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ
- RAM 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133MHz
- Hard Drive 256 GB PCIe SSD
- Graphics Coprocessor Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB DDR5
- Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
- Number of USB 3.0 Ports 3
- Brand Name Acer
- Series Aspire VX
- Item model number VX5-591G-75RM
- Operating System Windows 10
- Item Weight 5.5 pounds
- Dimensions 15.3 x 10.4 x 1.1 inches
- Color Black
- Processor Count 1
- Optical Drive Type None
- Batteries 1 Lithium ion battery
- Battery life 3-Cell, 4605 mAh, 6-hours
- Webcam 720p HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Wireless Protocol 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1
- Memory card SD Memory Card
- Audio Dolby Audio Premium Speakers
So, what’s our take?
The Acer Aspire VX15 VX5-591G-75RM is a mid-range entry-level gaming laptop with a great asking price. It offers great clock speeds and performance to accommodate routine office/home activities and games. It handles itself impressively well without heating issues or noise, has a great IPS enabled screen, backlit keyboard and port system. On the dull side of things, it is bulky and doesn’t have much to warrant entry among the best laptops in its class.
Additionally, while it is on the budget category of gaming laptops, Dell Inspiron 15 7000 beats it in price hands down (Dell might not appeal to you as much if you’re into gamer centric appeal). So, would we recommend it anyone? Well, yes. The Acer Aspire VX 15 shares most on paper features and performance with the best in its category. For instance, ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop, Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM, and Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54VG. Other alternatives are the Lenovo Legion Y520 80WK00FHUS 15.6 Traditional Laptop or the Acer ROG Strix GL553 among others. If that means anything, and you don’t mind an average laptop, you should consider it for your ‘buy list.’
- Buy the Acer Aspire VX15 VX5-591G-75RM at Amazon
- ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop
- Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 15.6-Inches Full HD Notebook
- Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM 15.6-Inch Full HD Notebook